Thursday, April 22, 2021

R - Romance - #AtoZChallenge

Logan removed his suit jacket. He was burning up. He started to loosen his tie, but changed his mind. There was no point in getting getting dressed up to look nice, if he wore his clothes sloppily. Plus, he knew it was just nerves. He took a long sip of cold water to try to calm and cool himself.

Amy had called to let him know she would be late and the waitress kept coming by to see if he wanted to order anything. It was a busy night and they seemed to want to clear the table if no food was being ordered.

"She'll be here soon," he insisted to the waitress. "I'll have a Stella Artois while I wait."

Logan figured ordering something other than water would satisfy the wait staff for a while. He had wanted to avoid alcohol tonight to keep his wits together. Tonight had to go perfectly. He reached to pat his jacket pocket to double-check the ring was still there. He had a moment of panic before he remembered he had removed his jacket, but that pat did show him that he was sweating through his shirt. He put the jacket back on to hide his nervous sweat stains.

He and Amy had been talking about marriage and their future for the last year. He had no doubt she would say yes, but making it official was a big step. Tonight was a big night. He hoped she would arrive before he melted into the floor. Where was she?


 
All this month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. A new post will go up every day (except Sundays) using a letter of the alphabet as the starting off point. My theme for the month is literary genres. I am writing in a different genre of flash fiction each day. Today's letter is A for Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. I hope she shows up! Because it's "romance" it seems like she must, but I know your style and I feel like she's not coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have no idea what is going to happen. It was more about his anxiety than about the outcome.

      Delete
  2. R could have been ring rather than romance. But then again romance has a certain ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theme this month is literary genres. Romance is a genre. Ring is not.

      Delete
  3. Uh oh. Is she going to stand him up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know. I guess I should think about it.

      Delete
  4. Hope there is no disappointment here and it's a "happily ever after" or was it " happily never after" I wonder


    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/t-for-thestral.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. If she doesn't show soon, what would he do? Would he wait until the restaurant closes? I don't know why people think it's a good idea to propose in public, it makes people want to say yes just so they wouldn't embarrass the other person.

    Have a lovely day.

    My A-Z posts are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a movie once where a guy proposed in front of a lot of people over a microphone. She said yes, but as soon as they got alone she tore into him. Are you crazy?

      She said she only said yes so she wouldn't look like a bitch in front of all their friends.

      Delete
  6. Maybe she's just as nervous, knowing that tonight might be the night? Maybe she's just outside, sweating in her little black dress. (Because what else would you wear if you thought you were going to your proposal?)

    Good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting a little lazy here toward the end. Plus, I'm not a romance writer. I didn't know what to do.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.