Wednesday, April 14, 2021

K - Karen - #AtoZChallenge


Mrs. Ballard swiped her debit card again and the gas pump still wouldn't read it. She had tried three times and even started the whole process over with the pump and it wasn't working. She didn't like using her credit card for daily purchases, but pulled it out of her purse anyway. It didn't work either.

She hit the HELP button, but wasn't getting a response. Looking inside the station, it appeared the cashier was engaged with a woman at the counter.

Frustrated, she pulled to another pump since the card machine was broken on the first one. Unfortunately, she had the same problem at the new one. And she still got no response when she pressed the HELP button. It appeared the customer inside was upset about something and had the cashier's attention. That's why he hadn't responded to the HELP call.


Mrs. Ballard was about to storm into the station when she noticed the PAY INSIDE button. She had forgotten about that option. She had paid at the pump for so many years, paying inside was a distant memory. She filled up her tank and headed for the front doors.

As soon as the automatic doors slid open, Mrs. Ballard could hear the woman in full rant screaming at the cashier.

"ARE YOU STUPID? HOW HARD IS IT TO MAKE A DAMN CUP OF COFFEE?"

Mrs. Ballard stood far back to not attract attention to herself. She was in no hurry. She could wait until this ugly scene played out.

The cashier motioned toward the drink area and calmly stated, "As I told you, miss, the coffee station is right over there. We have three kinds of coffee including decaf and several flavored creamers. You can make it to your taste."

The customer seemed to be enraged by this and stuck her finger in the cashier's face as the spittle flew from her mouth. "AND AS I TOLD YOU, IF I WANTED TO MAKE MY OWN COFFEE I WOULD HAVE DONE SO AT HOME!"

"You are more than welcome to go do that." Mrs. Ballard was amazed at how well the cashier was keeping his cool and a giggle slipped out at that response.

The angry woman shot a look at her, but directed her hate back to the poor employee. "Are you going to make that coffee or not?"

The cashier stated definitively, "I am not supposed to leave the counter when I am the only employee in the store."

Mrs. Ballard decided to try to help. She spoke up as she moved toward the drink station, "I'll get your coffee. What would you like?"

She glared at Mrs. Ballard, "I would like some damn customer service and a little human decency."

"So, no coffee then?" and she went back to her place.

The front doors slid open and a woman walked in wearing the same uniform as the cashier. The customer immediately confronted the newcomer. "I guess now that there's a second person here, one of you can tackle the incredibly complicated task of getting my coffee." 

Since her path was basically blocked by a seething woman, she looked around her to the cashier and asked, "What's happening here?"

The cashier started to explain, but the customer cut him off." He refused to make my coffee."

"Well, I am sorry about that. I am the manager and I have instructed him to not leave the counter when he is the only employee in the store."

The manager edged her way sideways around the customer and walked to the coffee station. She started filling a large cup. "Would you like sugar or creamer?"

The customer was not finished. "So, is it your stupid policy to keep customers from getting served while you are out running around town?"

The manager stopped filling the cup and poured it in the sink. She stepped up to the customer and answered, "Customer service does not stop for the people who are smart enough to recognize that this is a self-serve station and not a restaurant. If you want someone to wait on you, go to a place that does that." 

The customer was aghast. "Well, I've never had such treatment. Do you know who I am? My husband is a well-respected man in this town."

The manager grew louder, "Well, it's a shame he couldn't marry someone who was the same. Get out of my store. We don't tolerate you crazy Karens here."

The customer stomped out with a few more words about her perceived treatment and sped out of the parking lot. The manager let her employee know how well he had done to keep his cool and sent him on break.

"I am sorry you had to witness that. How can I help you?"

Mrs. Ballard smiled, "It's okay. Not your fault. The card machine outside wasn't working, so I came inside to pay." She slid her card to the manager.

The manager grabbed the card and jumped when she looked at it, "Oh, I am so sorry. Karen Ballard. Your name is Karen."

Karen Ballard patted the managers hand, "It's okay, dear. There's good Karens and bad Karens. Just try not to judge us all by the bad ones. I don't think she was one of us any way."



 
All this month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. A new post will go up every day (except Sundays) using a letter of the alphabet as the starting off point. My theme for the month is literary genres. I am writing in a different genre of flash fiction each day. I don't know any genres that start with K and couldn't find any online, so today's letter is K for Karen.

7 comments:

  1. Aw, I like this story! When I hear insults about the "Karens" I think of my sister's best friend from high school. A LOVELY woman who happens to be named Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had one person I know act like a Karen in front of me. She went insane over finding a hair in her salad. I mean, she lost her mind.

      Working in customer service, I have experienced many.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the name Karen has dropped right down the new baby name list in the last year - I feel a bit sorry for those called Karen who have never behaved like a 'Karen'! Great story
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/14/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-l/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a couple of Karens who are sweet women. But I've never shopped with them, so I don't know.

      Delete
  3. And they always get so incensed about stuff that isn't worth getting upset about. Sigh. I had three Karen friends in high school (all spelled differently). I don't know why that name became the code name for that kind of person. But I'm glad that my name didn't become that code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have someone very close to me who has the identical LOOK of the the way Karens are always portrayed. She is not that type of person, but I always think of her when these stories come up.

      Delete
  4. OMG, ha ha ha, great twist at the end.
    I hate when the machine at the pump isn't working. I actually had to deal with that two weeks ago at a Speedway. The guy inside took my payment and said the card reader had been broken all day. Were I a Karen, I'd have made a big deal out of the lack of a sign on the pump. But I just shrugged and went about getting my fuel. Like a normal person.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.