Sunday, April 11, 2021

G - Ghost Story - #AtoZChallenge


The first time I saw her, I knew she wasn't real. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw her peeking out of the closet at me as I slept. I threw my pillow to close the closet door.

I wasn't scared. Not even a little bit.

I turned eight years old this year and my dad says I am a big man now. So, I wasn't scared.

I am very smart too. I know girls don't live in closets. They live in houses like me. And a closet might be in a house, but it is not enough to live in. Girls need kitchens and bathrooms also.

At school, I learned that some people don't have houses and have to live anywhere they can. Like on the street or in an old building that might not even have a TV or refrigerator. Or just a big box, but I don't think that would be good when it rains. My grandma says I'm the smartest boy in my whole class and my teacher never said people live in closets. So I know.

The next day, I put my pillow back on the bed and I opened the door very slow. I knew there was no girl in there. But maybe it was a raccoon that I thought was a girl. They have claws. I know because I saw a picture in a book. And a raccoon can not stay in my closet. Raccoons poop a lot. Well, maybe not a lot. But even a little bit would be too much in my closet.

That night, I forgot all about the closet until I rolled over and I saw her again. She just stood there in the door. This time I looked real hard. She was not a raccoon. She was a girl. I was not scared because I am not scared of girls. But I didn't like that she was in my room.

I hid under my blankets so she couldn't see me. Not because I was scared. I was not scared. I just didn't like her looking at me. I peeked out later and she was not there. I think she was scared of me. Good.

The next night, I put a chair in front of the door. I looked in the closet first. She wasn't in there, but I blocked it anyway. The next day, the door was wide open. The chair was pushed out of the way. I don't like her.

I tried many, many, many tricks. 

I blocked the door.
I took everything out of the closet.
I tried to take the door off, but could not work the screwdriver.
I set a trap to fall on her head.
I put glue on the floor.

Nothing worked. Some nights I saw her. Some nights I didn't. But she never got caught or fell or cried.

Then, I remembered. I'm a big man. My dad said so. I had to do something.

That night, I talked to her. I am the smartest boy in my class. My grandma said so. But I hadn't thought of this until now. So, after hundreds and millions and thousands of nights, I said hello.

She didn't do anything.

I said what do you want.

She lifted her arm and used her come-to-me finger. She wanted me to come to the closet where she was.

I shook my head. I was not scared. But I don't hang out in closets with girls. She closed the door and I fell asleep.

The next night, she came right up to my bed. I was not scared. I'm a big man. My dad said so. But when she tried to touch me, I pulled away. She was very cold. I don't like cold.

And I am very smart. The human body is supposed to be 98.6 degrees. I learned that in a book. That girl must be sick and needs to wear warmer clothes. I would not be happy to be that cold. But she doesn't look happy. Maybe it is because she is cold.

That night, I put a blanket in the closet for her. It was on the top shelf, but she might not have known it was there. I put it on the floor.

She stepped out of the closet again that night. I told her about the blanket. She pointed back to the closet. I got out of bed to show it to her. She stepped inside and reached out to pull me in with her. I was not scared. I am a big man. And I don't sleep in closets.

I've been talking to her more and more, but she never answers me. She just points to the closet. If I get too close, she tries to pull me in. I always win. I am a big man and she is just a girl. She can't pull me in. 

One night, I was sitting on the floor and she was sitting in the closet. I was talking to her and trying to ask her name. She never answers or says anything. I am really not scared of her now.

I wasn't scared before. Because I am a big man. My dad said so, but I am really not scared now.

I asked her her name and where her mom and dad were, but she just sat there. Like she always just sits there. But this time, she jumped up and with both hands wanted me to come in the closet with her.

I told her I don't sit in closets with girls. She started bouncing and trying to get me to come in. She had never been so excited before. She usually didn't move much.

I heard a loud thump outside my bedroom. I heard voices outside I did not know. That does not sound like dad. I looked back to the closet and the girl looked like she was trying to speak. She had never tried before. She was reaching out her hands to me.

I stood up and heard people running around inside the house. I was not scared. I'm a big man. I went to my bedroom door to find out who was here. When I got close, the door flew open. Two boys older than me ran in.

"This is my room!"
        "No, it's mine!"

The bigger one punched the smaller one and they started rolling around on the floor wrestling.

I yelled for them to get out and called for my dad. I wasn't scared. I'm a big man, but there were two boys and they were bigger than me.

The fighting boys almost ran into me and I stumbled back to not get hurt. Before I could get my balance, the girl yanked me into the closet. I wasn't scared, but needed to catch my breath. I sat there with the girl and she was smiling. I had never seen her smile.

I took a breath and started to stand. The girl put her hand on my shoulder and shook her head. Her hand wasn't cold any more. She was getting better. I was happy for her.

Then, the closet door slammed shut. The fighting boys had bumped into it and shut it. I couldn't get it open again. I wasn't scared, but I don't sit in closets with girls.

The girl put her hand on mine to stop me from trying the door. But I wanted out.

I heard a loud scream outside, "You boys stop it! We just got here. Go help unload the boxes. NOW!"

Then I heard the boys stomp out of the room, but I still couldn't open the door. I tried harder and harder, but it wouldn't move. I wasn't scared.

The girl whispered in my ear, "It's okay."

She took my hand and led me away from the door. The closet seemed much bigger than before. I couldn't even see the back. I followed her. I wasn't scared.


 
All this month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. A new post will go up every day (except Sundays) using a letter of the alphabet as the starting off point. My theme for the month is literary genres. I am writing in a different genre of flash fiction each day. Today's letter is G for Ghost Story.

8 comments:

  1. This is a very sad story. Now I want to know what killed the boy. And how long he's been dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have no idea. I just knew that I wanted the boy being haunted to be a ghost himself. But not know it.

      Delete
  2. Towards the end I kind of got a hunch about where it was going especially when the two boys showed up but what an awesome narration! Had me absolutely hooked and the suspense factor gets 10 on 10. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/j-for-jinx.html

      Delete
  3. I love that you used the child's tone for the narration. It was so sweet! I could hear him saying "I wasn't scared" and "I am very smart." So cute. And gripping. Good ghost story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's a little full of himself.
      Thank you. It was fun.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! You drew me in and lulled my fears with the voice of the 8 year old boy trying to cover up his fear. I guess he was slowly dying as he got closer and closer to the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my mind, he's been dead the entire time. He just didn't know it. The girl was trying to pull him out of his old existence and let it go. I guess.

      I'm not really sure.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.