Thursday, March 11, 2021

It's A to Z Time Again

Every year, I have to decide if I am going to do the A to Z Challenge again. And I don't know why I even have to think about it. I have done it four times (2013, 2016, 2018, 2019) and loved the experience every time.
 

 

The most difficult part for me each year is deciding on a theme. In 2019 I got very personal a wrote each day about a person who greatly influenced my life. That was a great month. It led to many great conversations and phone calls with old friends and got pretty sappy a few times. I reread those posts often. But this year, I decided to really try to stretch myself.
 


I am going to try flash fiction all month. I have only done flash fiction here once, but I was quite proud of that story (click here to read it). So, I am going to try it again, but it will be a little more complicated this time. I am going to write in a different genre each day.

I still have to map it out, but each day's genre will be decided by the letter for the day. For example, here are a few I already know I will be doing:

A - Adventure
D - Dystopian
H - Horror
R - Romance (not looking forward to this one)
S - Science Fiction
W - Western

I also will not pre-plan any story. I want every post to grow organically when I sit down to write each day. The only part of the story known ahead of time will be the genre for the day.

I honestly do not expect this to be an easy task and believe I will spend more time completing this A to Z Challenge than any I have done in the past.

First post goes up on April 1st. A new one will follow every day in April excluding Sundays.

18 comments:

  1. Good luck, that's a tough challenge, but I look forward to seeing what stories you come up with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already think I have bitten off more than I can chew, but I have a lot of free time. So, now is the time to do it.

      Delete
  2. Lots of people are doing flash fiction but I haven't seen anyone doing different genres. I'll probably come by to check them out although I won't be reading horror, too much of a scaredy cat to read them. Good luck with the challenge.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have written very little flash fiction, but have gotten great public response when I did try ti. So I am diving in.

      Delete
  3. Good luck. It should be an interesting month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best with your theme. I can't imagine not pre-planning! See you in April.

    My theme reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Taht's quite of a challenge! Writing fiction during the AtoZ is already demanding in and of itself. But I'm sure you'll do grait. You sound very determinated :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Theme Reveal - The Great War

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this sounds like quite the challenge! Good luck. I'll definitely check back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited! I loved doing Flash Fiction in 2019, and can't wait to get back to it. I can't imagine trying to determine the genre before knowing the prompt, though. That's like planning a wedding before knowing the fiance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it once and enjoyed it. So I decided to dedicate the month to it.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to these, I really enjoyed your last A to Z. I'm out this year, too much real life.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.