Wednesday, April 24, 2019

U - Uncles (Family)

This A to Z Challenge post will be much more generic because I am not going to cover anyone in particular. It will be about my family in general.

I have written so many heart-warming and nostalgic posts about some wonderful people and it just felt wrong to not include the people who are closest to me.

Not everyone has the luxury of growing up near their family. I did. Especially my father's side of the family. We lived on the old homestead that in been in our family for five generations and the children of dad's cousins were scattered all over the countryside surrounding us. Dad's brother also lived nearby and he had two sons. My dad's sister lived further away but popped in three or four times a year with her kids. We all knew each other quite well and had great fun running around together. I have written about many of these adventures in past blog posts.

Sibling Perceptions
Back in My Day
When the Cat's Away
Grand Theft Auto - Kindergarten Style
Family Reunion

My mother's family were mostly congregated in one place, but my mom was the one who left the area. So, seeing her side of the family was not nearly as commonplace. It was a five-hour trip one way to see any of them. With the exception of my cousin Tabatha, that was restricted to about once a year. Yet, when we got together we had a great time.

I grew up in a happy house out in the country with both parents and two brothers. Our childhood was an adventure and there was never any shortage of fun to be had. I believe we pushed the limits on having fun.

I'm not going to single anyone out, but getting to be so near my family and involved in each other's lives had a huge impact on helping shape the way I see and interact with the world. I love my family and where I come from. 



This month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. Each day this month, people around the world are writing blog posts and working their way through the alphabet. Each person decides their own personal theme. I am writing about people who have affected my life.

10 comments:

  1. I have an army of cousins, but none of them lived in geographical proximity to us for any length of time. There's still a lot of love, but not as many memories. You were blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have led a very privileged life. I am more aware of that every year.

      Delete
  2. I feel much the same about mine. As an adult, I had a friend say to me, "You have a family that likes each other and has fun together. Do you realize how rare that is?"
    Truer than I would like to believe, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same about my family. I love when we get together. There is a lot of laughter.

      Delete
  3. I have heard of being close with cousins. It must have been a nice childhood. I lacked for cousins. My grandparents didn't have large families, and my parents' siblings (each had one) did not have children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife has tons of cousins, but the family is a bunch of nomads so they are spread all over the place. None of them close enough to get to know each other.

      Delete
  4. We have no family living near us. It's a 16 hour drive to get to our closest family. We still try and make the trip once a year so our kids get to know their extended family.

    Visiting from A-Z
    AJ Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up similarly, cousins from my father's side lived in the same town and from my mother's side were 4-5 hours away. I'm still close to most of them nowadays mostly thanks to Facebook.

    My husband had no cousins and is so glad his grandkids do!

    DB McNicol, author
    A to Z Microfiction: Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were my earliest playmates. We did everything together.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.