Wednesday, April 17, 2019

O - Old People

This post is not about old people in general. It is about a very specific group of people. And them being older is not really the point. I just had to find a way to fit all my 26 stories into this month while also using all the letters of the alphabet. O was still open, so they got this spot.

Years ago I was the associate minister in a church and I had been preaching in another church down the road while they looked for their own minister. It was eventually suggested that maybe I should fill the spot and that is what happened.

Now, before I go any further with this story I want to give this disclaimer. That church was filled with a bunch of wonderful people. It was. I do not have any complaints about a single person from that congregation. Please keep this in mind as I tell my story.

The average age of the membership of this church was well over 60. It was an older congregation in a small town. I was a young, recently divorced father from a different denomination. I, honestly, had no business being the spiritual leader for this group of people.

They recognized that they were a generation away from the church dying and wanted new younger membership. However, they also wanted me to spend my days visiting all the older people of the church who just couldn't get out much anymore. I have no problem with this practice and met some wonderful people, but the hours spent sitting and drinking tea with people who had been already been Christians for decades are not growing the membership of the church. Which is what I was told they wanted.

I do believe those people should be visited, but it should not have been the bulk of my time as was expected. And second, it should not have been the sole responsibility of the pastor. That is one of the many reasons churches have elders. They have a much bigger spiritual responsibility than just sitting on the church board.

Next, any special events designed for community outreach received no support. No one ever resisted, but I got no help either. We hosted a kite-flying, weenie roast one day. This was meant to have the people of the community come to a free event and meet the people of the church. Bring a kite, eat some food and have some fun. I didn't get any takers for volunteers to bring potluck food so I brought stuff myself. My kids and I built a fire and laid out all the hot dogs, condiments, buns, paper plates, and chips. About three dozen people showed up from the community. As for the people of the church (who asked for community outreach events), only two people showed up. And they sat at a picnic table talking to no one but each other and me when I was close enough to hear.

On another occasion, we decided to have a special service mid-week for Flag Day (or another small holiday, I forget which). It was intended to be a short service with a patriotic theme. My kids and I got to the church early. We got everything fired up and waited. Not one single person came. NOT EVEN THE WORSHIP TEAM!!!

It was me and my kids sitting in an empty church.

In the meantime, I had stumbled into a new ministry field and had been working part-time in a tattoo shop to talk to the customers there. It was exciting and I was seeing positive results. I was even using the things that happened in that shop as illustrations in my sermons on Sunday mornings. And while everyone praised the work they heard about in this mission field, they still had to admit that their preacher worked in a tattoo shop. Which I understand. Sort of.

Almost everything I tried just flopped. Nothing seemed to work. I was starting to grow quite apathetic. One day after church, my family and I were leaving for lunch and I noticed as driving by the church that the cars of the members of the church board were in the parking lot. The church board was having a meeting, but I had not been invited. I immediately knew what that meant.

The following week, during our regularly scheduled board meeting, I explained the frustrations I had been having and admitted that I was not the person to be leading this congregation. I handed them a resignation letter. They all looked at each other and just accepted it. There were no questions, so I still believe my suspicions were correct. I was about to be dismissed anyway.

As I stated at the beginning, the people of that church were good people. I'm still friends with some of them today. But I was not the guy who should have filled that spot. It was a miserable couple of years.

My theme for this month has been to write about people who have affected my life and this experience definitely qualifies. I learned a lot from this experience. I had always been one to just put my head down and plow through something. Even before tackling a situation that looked like a bad idea, I would just decide I could figure it out or endure until it was over. That was not how I saw this before I got hired, but it turned into that.

Sometimes a situation is not a good fit and trying to force it only prolongs the inevitable. There were plenty of factors that made me the wrong guy for that job. Not just the age difference. And the longer I stuck it out, the worse position it placed on the leadership who had to deal with it. I'm sure they were not looking forward to firing me. Plus, what church wants to even have that as part of their history? Firing their preacher. I was happy to step down. It saved them the embarrassment and allowed me to go do something I was better suited for.

I am more discerning about the things I choose to do now. I've also learned that it is okay to be a little more assertive about speaking my mind. I don't have to just go along with everything. It was a huge learning experience and I am a stronger person because of it.



This month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. Each day this month, people around the world are writing blog posts and working their way through the alphabet. Each person decides their own personal theme. I am writing about people who have affected my life.

14 comments:

  1. I can only imagine your discomfort, trying to fit into that situation. You are SO GOOD at what you do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so much better suited to being a teacher than a minister.

      Delete
  2. Every experience teaches something in life; whether good or not-so-good.
    I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR POSITION and discomfiture trying to be good in that position. Maybe it was not meant to be.

    https://ideasolsi65.blogspot.com/2019/04/ovary-parts-of-body.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I have to say I think you were doing the right thing, but sometimes a group of people can become hostile to anything new. It can be even worse as folk get older as they often become even more closed to new ideas. I live in a small rural community full of older retired folk (I am one myself) but there are some little groups I just smile, say hello and avoid because they have become so set in their ways they can't cope with anything or anyone new. Humans are fundamental tribal which is why we end up fighting and shouting at each other.

    Thanks for visiting my little blog and good luck on the journey to Z.

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They were good people, but being unwilling to bend was part of the issue. I was so relieved when I stepped out.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for such a tender post, thank you for giving a view of the church.
    I grew up in such a church. Once my babyboomer generation left, the church would have the gray and silvers left. It surprised me, when I visited Mom and Dad some decades later, to see that a whole new congregation were sitting in the pews.

    I love your site, posts. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am so glad you read this as it was intended. I really didn't want to paint them in a bad light.

      Delete
  5. Just dropping by from the A to Z Challenge - really interesting theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been quite enlightening to write.

      Delete
  6. Interesting post...I will try to read a few more as time allows. Stopping by from A-Z.

    DB McNicol, author
    A to Z Microfiction: Onion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I see that you have been to several other posts. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Yikes. It sucks to be in a group that just won't step up. Too many groups don't do the work, and only a few volunteers do everything. But it sounds like you learned the lesson you needed to from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Looking back on it, the worst part was my kids being stuck in a place they were bored in.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.