Tuesday, April 16, 2019

N - Now (Red)

Next month, my wife and I will be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. Our marriage has been a whirlwind of adventure. Let me just list some truths about our relationship story.

  • I proposed to Red before I had met her or knew her name. I had never even seen a picture.
  • I hacked a state database to learn where she worked so I could send her flowers.
  • The time frame between us picking a wedding date and the day of the wedding was 8 days.
  • One year later, we vacationed in Turkey the week before their military coup. Ankara got bombed days before we were there. A Syrian refugee searched our car one day for bombs before letting us leave his camp.
  • We moved to China 17 months after getting married.
  • We now live in Vietnam.
  • In the short time we've been together, we have lived in three different countries and visited seven. We've seen both U.S. coasts and much of the country in between.
Life has been busy and it has been great, but months ago someone asked me a question that still rattles around in my head.

 "Weren't you concerned that moving to another country might be too much strain for a couple so recently married?"

It was a legitimate question. Moving twelve time zones away to a foreign land is immensely stressful and scary and technically we were still a new couple. But I don't remember being worried about that.

We were honest with ourselves and each other during the moving process. We knew there would be some huge challenges once we got there and we recognized that we didn't even know what those challenges were going to be. We also knew that one of our biggest strengths as a couple is our ability to communicate. We talk to each other.

I mean really talk.

I was concerned about the stress of the move and the adjustments that would be required, but I was not concerned about how it would affect our relationship. I think it goes back to how we started dating.

Red and I met online through each other's blogs. I'm not going to tell the whole story here, but innocent conversations online grew into more. This gave us a chance to get to know each other outside of looking for romance. When the possibility of a relationship began to grow, we threw some hard truths at each other. We even had a 'red flag' conversation. On that phone call, we each admitted things about ourselves that would make us look bad. (For me: I rarely hold a job more than a year, I had two ex-wives, etc)

We candidly stated our stances on social, political and religious issues. We explained how we felt about kids, finances, ethics, family traditions and much more. We just put it all on the line.

We talked in depth about all the things that a lot of couples don't get into for years. I believe we both knew this relationship had the potential to go somewhere and it just needed to all be out in the open. We didn't want to waste each other's time if there was something one of us would not be able to live with. Why wait years to learn something and then break up?

This also caused us to call each other out on some bad communication habits we had each picked up over the years. For myself, she quickly corrected how I respond to questions when I don't appreciate the direction of a conversation. With some honest self-reflection and looking back at how this practice had not been helpful in my last marriage, I was able to change it.

This is just one of the ways that being in this woman's presence has made me a better person.

All of this is also why I was not worried about how we as a couple would handle our big move to China. We had each other's backs and knew that.

I am so in love with my wife and look forward to where the next five years will take us.



This month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. Each day this month, people around the world are writing blog posts and working their way through the alphabet. Each person decides their own personal theme. I am writing about people who have affected my life.

19 comments:

  1. Silly me, assuming your wife would be under "R" for Red!
    I hadn't realized you two hadn't even met when you got engaged - fun to have some of the back story filled in.
    And, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coolest part of this was that it all happened publicly. Every step of our early talking was in the comment sections of our blogs with our fans chiming in. We even posted about every date we went on for a while.

      Delete
  2. Wow- what a story! That's amazing how you two were able to connect over your blogs. I fell for someone just the exact same way except it didn't have such a happy ending.

    Giggling Fattie
    www.noloveforfatties.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I worked out really well for us. We are two people who would have never gotten together IRL. We would not have even run in the same circles or even known mutual people. The blogs made it all happen.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I loved reading about you both.

    Visiting from AtoZ
    http://namysaysso.com/blog/pablo-neruda-poem-im-getting-things-off-chest/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing a slice of your life with us. honesty Communication is the key to any relationship. All the best to your togetherness.

    https://ideasolsi65.blogspot.com/2019/04/nails-parts-of-body_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the way to go. My wife and I talked on Yahoo Messenger every night and texted all day long. When she decided to move up here, it was like we've been married for years.

    As I was there in the beginning of your relationship, I love seeing you guys so happy and with all the moving and "unusual" lifestyle that you guys have been living together, just furthers that you guys were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sticking with us. It has been fun living this life. Stressful at times, but always an adventure.

      Delete
  6. Happy upcoming anniversary. I found you on the A to Z master list, and I realize that I follow your wife's blog already. Small (blogging) world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though your tag looked familiar as soon as I saw it. I've seen you in her comment section.

      Delete
  7. Usually I write a funny comment but your words are inspiring. I love happy and growing marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never even questioned the idea of moving overseas "so soon". My heart has always been in Asia, and I knew that you were driven by an urge to travel. It seemed natural to me, but I can see how average Joe-blow would think it was a huge undertaking.

    You are the best part of my life and I look forward to a lot more than 5 more years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh. I think five more years should be plenty.

      .

      .

      .

      .

      I was going to leave it at that but thought it might be too snarky. I love you. I look forward to many years to come.

      Delete
  9. OMG! I had no idea you were married to Red. I've been a follower of hers for some time now. Yay and congrats!!

    DB McNicol, author
    A to Z Microfiction: Night

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a lovely story in the age of social media. Its really interesting to know more about it.
    https://shravmusings.com/2019/04/quarrel-master-narada-in-indian-mythology/

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.