Tuesday, April 9, 2019

H - High School (Jeff)

I have written many times about how I was a nerd in school. I wasn't a complete social outcast, but I was far from being one of the "in" crowd people. However, I didn't finish school that way. By the time I graduated high school, I had completely come out of my shell, got invited to the parties and was reasonably well-liked. And I know exactly how it happened.

When I started my sophomore year, there were a few new students. There usually are. One was a guy named Jeff Caudle. Jeff was one of the sports guys. He gained popularity pretty quickly and the girls seemed to like him. Just another one of those people who is not part of my circle.

Now, I honestly don't remember how we became friends but Jeff remembers our first meeting. He claims that I approached him in the library one day and in a high nasally voice, sheepishly said, "Is your name Patrick?"

I don't believe I ever had a high nasally voice, but that's the way Jeff loves to tell the story.

Jeff only lived in Waltonville for two years, but over the course of those two years, we became tight friends. We stayed over at each other's houses, ran around together, got into trouble together and double dated.

Junior Prom - May 1988
Me (left), Jeff (right)
In fact, Jeff is the reason I went on my first date ever. He talked me into asking out a girl because it might be fun to double. Then, he pulled out to do something else.

Hanging out with one of the more popular students put me in situations I would never have found myself in. I made appearances at parties. I went to the basketball games. Being seen with Jeff gave me a little more confidence to put myself out there. And I learned that people might actually like me if I allowed them to. I stopped hiding quietly in the corner and it paid off.

Jeff moved away the summer before senior year, but I was over most of my social oddities by then. My senior year was great.

Jeff may have moved away, but we still stayed in touch. He was only two hours north, so occasionally one of us would drive to spend the weekend with the other. Over the next couple of years, I dated two of his cousins. He eventually stood as the best man for my wedding. Twice. I stood in his wedding also but his brother got the best man spot.



I lived with him and his parents for a while and he lived with me and mine. We were pretty well-entwined into each other's lives and each other's extended family. When his mother had her wisdom teeth taken out, it was me who drove her home. And when his aunt was released from the hospital after having a C-section, I picked them up from the hospital. Jeff's dad hired me to work for him one summer installing security plates on rest area vending machines around the State.

Eventually, Jeff and I were roommates in a nasty little redneck, rat-trap trailer but we had a lot of fun and threw some great parties. We also had some of our biggest fights during that time. Being friends with someone does not necessarily mean that being roommates will be a good idea. We each had some legitimate complaints about the other.

Life moved on and we saw each other a few years into each of us getting married and eventually living in different states. We still talk occasionally, but life is different now. This was one of those friendships that I tried to hold onto longer, but it is difficult to force it.

Regardless of this, I am thankful for those years we did hang out and intrude so much into each other's lives. I know those couple of years in high school definitely turned my life for the better.

Jeff, if you ever read this. I miss you, buddy.



This month, I am participating in the A to Z Challenge. Each day this month, people around the world are writing blog posts and working their way through the alphabet. Each person decides their own personal theme. I am writing about people who have affected my life.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. NEVER room with your best friend. I've had roommates since 6th grade, so I'm somewhat of an authority on the subject. I tried that in 7th grade, and we ended up with a dividing line down the middle of the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it work. We didn't become enemies because of it, but we definitely fought more than we did before we were roommates.

      Delete
    2. That's why you and I decided to be roommates: because we were friends but not "best friends" and even though I'm messy (still am, ask Sea) I think it worked pretty well, and I would live with you any time (and I'd load the dishwasher and do my laundry, I promise). ����

      Delete
    3. To be clear, that's why RED and I decided to be roommates. I think living with Mr. Nonconformist would be fun, but I don't know if I trust him to save me from giant insects the way I do Red ��

      Delete
    4. I'm great with the insects. I give them all names and never forget to feed them before going to bed.

      Delete
    5. I'll pass this on to RED to be sure she sees it.

      Delete
    6. Thank you Julie, for making my point. I'd happily room with you again, too, but I have a live and let live policy regarding the bugs. Except our giant cockroaches, and those I defer to Brett.

      Delete
  2. Great Theme. I think I may steal it for next year. Except I already have like 3 or 4 themes I am thinking of for next year and with my ADD ill probably forget them all long before the challenge begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed this theme. It has caused a lot of self-reflection on my life and I have been getting phone calls and messages from the people involved in some of these stories.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, agree best friends need not be best roomies. But good article for Jeff and I guess he would love it too

    https://shravmusings.com/2019/04/hayagriva-horse-headed-god/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has read it and enjoyed it. It sparked a lot of stories about the good old days.

      Delete
  4. This one brought back some memories for me, a social introvert who was extremely and painfully shy all through school. A new boy moved to town in my senior year and for whatever reason, he fit in immediately with the jocks & the in-kids, even though he wasn't an athlete.

    He took me to the only teen party I ever attended, he took me out for an all day adventure on senior skip day. He saw me when others didn't.

    I got to thank him for his kindness at our 40th high school reunion. He barely remembered it but I've never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to him on the phone since writing this and he told me that he was in the library because he could hide there. New kid in a school and he just didn't want to be seen for a while.

      I don't know why we hit it off, but it turned out he was one of those people who is just friends with everyone.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.