He is only a year older than me. How is that possible? Grandparents are old people.
At least, that is the view I used to have. Once I reflected on this, it occurred to me that my son is 20 years old. Not that I am expecting him to become a father anytime soon, but he is at the age where that would not be such a shocking thing. It still catches me off guard when I am substitute teaching and meet a high schooler who is the child of someone I went to school with. I don't know why this surprises me since my youngest child is a junior in high school and 16 years old. Even though I have gotten older, I guess I don't think about the ages of other people that I don't see on a regular basis.
Years ago, I laughed it off when I heard a DJ refer to Motley Crüe as 'classic' rock. However, I have come to accept that it has been quite a while since we used floppy disks and had satellite dishes that dwarfed the cars sitting in our driveway. I distinctly remember when gasoline reached the outrageous price of $1/gallon and the excitement we felt when the new network channel FOX first came on the air.
I started looking around the internet to see how old some of the things I remember are and compiled the following list.
DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE BEING REMINDED ABOUT YOUR AGE!
- Windows XP was released 11 years ago, in 2001.
- Ren & Stimpy debuted over 20 years ago.
- The "new" Millennium is over a decade old.
- Pluto was downgraded from planet status 5 years ago.
- Pierce Brosnan last acted as James Bond 10 years ago.
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has been off the air for 18 years.
- It has been 11 years since 9/11.
- Ellen DeGeneres came out 15 years ago.
- The Matrix came out 13 years ago. Keanu Reeves is 48 years old today.
- Princess Diana and Mother Theresa have been dead for 15 years.
- The Challenger space shuttle disaster happened 27 years ago.
- Macauley Culkin is 31 years old. Home Alone came out over 20 years ago.
- Terminator 2 is over 20 years old. Edward Furlong, who played kid John Conner, is 34 now.
- Sean Connery is in his 80's and retired. He hasn't made a new movie in 9 years.
- Brittany and Madonna's famous on-stage kiss was 9 years ago.
- Nicole Brown Simpson was murdered 18 years ago.
- There hasn't been a cast member from I Love Lucy alive for 32 years.
- If the Simpsons' actually aged, Maggie would be 24 today.
- The youngest Spice Girl is 36, the oldest Backstreet Boy 39, Gwen Stefani is 42, Madonna 53.
- The last Goosebumps book was published 14 years ago.
- Kurt Cobain has been dead for 17 years.
- The first Harry Potter book came out 15 years ago!
- The first season of Friends was aired 18 years ago.
- The Macarena dance craze was 16 years ago.
- The little red headed girl who starred opposite Jim Belushi in Curly Sue is 30 years old and married.
- Kids born in 1994 can legally vote this year.
- All 3 Hanson brothers are married with kids.
- Ask a teenager what this means: "BE KIND. PLEASE REWIND."
- Marilyn Monroe would be 86 now.
- Jurassic Park is older than Justin Bieber.
- Nintendo 64 hit the market 16 years ago.
- Bryan Adams' cult classic song Summer of '69 was released 27 years ago.
- Kids who you remember in diapers have been posting their own pictures on Facebook.
- Rudy from The Cosby Show is now 33 years old.
- Facebook has been around for 8 years.
|27 years ago.|
Weekend Funnies at My Half Assed Life