Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quilt

As a participant in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I will be making my way through the alphabet all month.



For a good portion of my life, my grandmother lived right in our backyard. Not literally in the back yard. I mean, she had a house back there. My mother's mother (Mary Jane) lived behind us when I was very young until I was about 8 or 9.

In my teen years, my father's mother (Margaret) lived behind us. I have many memories of being able to walk out of the house and be in one of their homes within seconds. It's great to have grandparents so close.

Grandma Margaret was a quilter. Most of the time, when you walked into her house, she would be working on a quilt. I have no idea how many she made, but those quilts are everywhere. Every family member has several of her quilts. Looking around, I have four in this room right now.

Quilting is not something I have ever particularly cared about, but I was always very interested in Grandma's quilts. I can remember many times upon walking into her house, she would want to show me her latest pattern. She would be trying something new and wanted to show it off. The only pattern name I can remember today is the log cabin pattern, but I used to know several more.

She's been gone four or five years now, but I always think of her every time I see one of her quilts. I have several, so I see them often. Hopefully, they will last forever.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you/your family actually use the quilts, and don't just keep them for show. They are precious, but the only value is monetary if you keep them in mint condition. Use and abuse and love the crap out of those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Items are made to be used. Except maybe for paintings and sculptures. Of course, just looking at those is how they are meant to be used, so never mind.

      Delete
  2. And, if the quilts last forever, so will your grandmother.
    Oh my, that's accidental zen right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they should be good for a long time. A few of them, I have been using since I was in high school 30 years ago.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.