Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J is for Joints

As a participant in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I will be making my way through the alphabet all month.



People always make jokes about the aches and pains of getting older. The increasing frequency of how often we walk into a room and forget why we went in there. The frequent urination. Sleepless nights. The incredible difficulty of getting our bodies to start cooperating in the morning. The frustrating forgetfulness. I understand all of it and have experienced them all as well, but I have one particular one that I need to take some action for.

I have incredible joint pain.

Actually, I hate to use the word incredible because I associate that word with great things and what I experience is not great. It's quite the opposite of that. It's pretty ungreat (Not to be confused with ingrate. That is something else entirely) and I really don't enjoy it.

I have written many times in the past about my recurring shoulder pains. When they are at their worst, I can't even let my arm hang by my side without horrible pain. I have to support the weight. It took a while, but we finally found the issue and it means surgery. However, the doctors say that I must wait as long as possible for the surgery because it will only last 10 to 15 years and cannot be done again. In the meantime, I've been taught some stretches that seem to alleviate the pain somewhat, but it still gets quite painful at times.

For the last year, my shoulders haven't been my biggest concern. Something is going on with my hands. My fingers will swell up and I have trouble making a fist. I can't hold anything when this happens and it lasts for a few days. They are very tender during this time and I lose all dexterity. I can't open jars. I have trouble lifting the tea pitcher to get myself a drink and taking care of my bathroom needs becomes rather challenging.

These pains are spreading. It occurs in my feet, wrists, ankles, knees, hip and other places. One morning my alarm went off and I discovered that I couldn't walk. I had to crawl to the clock. I have no problem with not walking as long as I have access to a remote and a good wifi signal, but I was supposed to go to work. It didn't happen that day. My foot was swelled so big, I couldn't get my shoe on anyway.

My wife is grateful that I just made a doctor's appointment last week. It's a general practitioner, but it's a step in the direction of getting some of this looked into. I don't know why men don't like to go to the doctor, but I am guilty. I have just put up with this forever, but it's reached the point that it can't be ignored any longer.

I just hope he doesn't try to make me change my diet. I'll go without movement to be able to stick my face in a plate of steak fajita nachos.

10 comments:

  1. "In-credible", literally, Not credible, or not believable. I think your level of random and recurring joint pain is pretty incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. As I write this, my lower back aches, and my fingers and knees are having a fit. Getting older really sucks. And dammitall if I didnt just read that we are now living longer!

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge J is for Jewel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided that I'm not going to live longer. I've got about 10 years left and then I'll be ready to go. I think it would be too depressing once understanding of common technology begins to get away from me.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, for your ills! I hope you find a credible doctor who give the answers you seek. Today, all I hear is, "after your autopsy, we'll be able to tell you exactly what happened."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I plan to donate my body to be used in Hollywood for a Mission:Impossible movie, so there'll be no autopsy.

      Delete
  4. You sound like me at the doctor, you can tell me to take meds, exercise or whatever but don't ask me to change my diet. I love food too much.

    Hope the doc can help ease the pain at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. If I'm ever told I have to give up red meat, cheese or fried foods, I'll probably just tell the doctor "I've lived a full life and my kids are grown now. I'll just die in front of the TV."

      Delete
  5. Sounds sucky mate. I hope you can get some relief, and remember to knock over a Corona with your fajitas.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.