Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for Nonchalant

As a participant in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I will be making my way through the alphabet all month.



This just may be one of my favorite traits about myself. I love it and because of it, I just may be the least stressed person you've ever come across. It goes by many names: apathy, ennui, lethargy, detachment, unconcern, passivity, stoicism, lassitude, insouciance, or indifference. You can call it whatever you want. I really don't care.

When I say I don't care, I really mean that I don't care. It also means that I don't care if you believe me. It has no effect on me either way, therefore, it is not something to get worked up about. More people should think this way.

Every time someone asks me why I'm not more upset about a particular situation, I explain to them my life philosophy. It goes like this.

Eh. Who cares?

And here's the best part of this philosophy. It's almost always true. And not just because I say so. In my experience, most of the things people get upset about is something they don't actually have any control over or isn't really of any consequence anyway.

You're stuck in traffic?    Eh. What can you do about it?
Your computer crashed?    Oh well.
Your boss is yelling again?    Honestly, he'll probably do it again tomorrow.

These things happen and can be frustrating, but if you learn to let it go and move on life becomes much easier. In whatever bad situation that occurs, you will eventually have to deal with it. Is it of any help to raise your blood pressure, ruin your evening or lash out at those around you? Not at all. Plus, after you've had your little fit (even if it was just in your head), you still have to deal with the problem.

Other times, there isn't even a problem to deal with. Maybe something just didn't go the way you wanted it or expected it to. Once again, no big deal. Roll with it. You're going to have to anyway. How about we just save ourselves the ulcer and move right to the solution. If there is even anything for you to solve.

I've seen people have meltdowns over issues that really don't even affect them. It is amazing how often the things that upset people are issues that really don't affect them in any way. Learning to recognize those circumstances will add years to your life.

This doesn't mean I never get upset. Somethings are worth getting upset over, but it helps to be able to recognize when those moments are. Plus, a person who is flexible and able to adapt to changing situations is much more pleasant to be around than the hothead or complainer.

I always told my students, "If you don't like being upset, don't do it. You have more control than you realize."

10 comments:

  1. You even look nonchalant in your FB picture :-)

    It's interesting how some people or certain situations can cause us to lose our nonchalance and get upset, while others don't.

    Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/n-is-for-nautical-miles-nancy-drew.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty nonchalant that day. I'm pretty calm and apathetic most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to learn this from you. I'm getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ,
    All the best for the Challenge:) Looking forward to read your posts during April.
    Stopping by today as part of the #AtoZChallenge Minion Activity :)
    @sneha_sasi from
    Life As a Potpourri
    Am a Minion for Holton's Heroes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hello. Did you read any of the post or just leave your tag?

      Delete
  4. I am more so now than in the past, nonchalant that is, but always my emotions are hidden and seldom known. Unless I'm in the medical arena and my patience is tested, then, boy look out! But I'm trying, honest. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it gets easier as we progress in years and get smarter.

      Delete
  5. That is the best philosophy I can think of.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.