Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for Kale

As a participant in the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I will be making my way through the alphabet all month.



Kale is disgusting!

I know that most of you probably agree with me. For those of you who don't, there's no need to jump into my comment section to tell me how if I just fixed it right, I would like it better. Any food that requires lots of work or special preparation to remove the taste of burnt crap should just get used to the fact that I will choose something else. It's just not worth it. When I buy a pizza, it's ready to go. Cook it and eat it. Put extra cheese on it if you want, but you don't have to. Cheese does nothing to improve kale.

Now, I am not against healthy food. I don't turn my nose up at vegetables. I'm happy to eat fish to get my Omega fatty acids. I can eat chicken, fruit, nuts, vegetables, grains, breads and legumes. I'm more than happy to eat any of this even though it would probably not be my first choice. I do tend to gravitate more toward nachos, pizza, bacon cheeseburgers and loaded waffles. However, there is healthy food and then there's health food.

Healthy food involves making smarter food choices. Choosing leaner meats over fattier meats. Being sure to eat green vegetables to get your iron and vitamins. Plenty of fruit for even more vitamins. Oily fish is great for getting those healthy fats. We also cannot overlook the importance of grains and a healthy amount of certain dairy. I very rarely don't always do as well as I should, but I can get behind this.

However, health food people too often go to extremes. Kale is an example of an unnecessary sacrifice to the enjoyment of food. Hopefully, the kale fad (and it is a fad) will die off soon and we won't have to keep hearing about it. When I was in high school, oat bran was all the rage. There was oat bran everything and it all tasted like week-old cardboard. It even crept into our breakfast cereal. About 10 years ago, everyone was eating kelp. KELP! Kelp is basically seaweed and while it may have some nutritional value, there are dozens of other foods that have the same nutrition that are significantly cheaper and (here's the best part) taste much better! And no one has to risk drowning in order to harvest it.

I'm not saying any of these foods should not be eaten. More power to the people who want to try to choke this stuff down. I just don't want the practitioners of these "miracle" foods to force them on me. I've had enough of the kale, kelp, flax seed, oat bran, quinoa, chia seed, apple cider vinegar, bean sprout, tofu, cannabis oil, alfalfa, wheat grass, spirulina and chlorella advocates who keep telling me that I'm killing myself if I eat a white potato.

"You know that just turns to sugar in your stomach"

"MAYBE I LIKE FREAKIN' SUGAR! NOW STEP OUT OF THE WAY, YOU'RE BLOCKING THE COCOA PUFFS!"

11 comments:

  1. LOL love your take on it. You are right about the healthy food craze... stuff that gets popular. I'd forgotten about oatbran. I didn't mind it on stuff... and as to kale... I think I've had it as the green stuff on pizza and it was ok... not taste as it was dominated by tomato sauce and cheese etc. Oh and I liked quin... cant spell it. The first time I went looking for it I couldn't find it .. of course I was looking for Keenwah....all the best in the rest of the AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinoa, while I'm not crazy about it is at least palatable. It is also a fad. It's everywhere right now, but give it a year and it won't be as prevelant.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind kale. I don't go out of my way to buy it and eat it, but it's okay. What I can't stand are avocados, which is supposed to be another health food. It just tastes like green mush to me.

    Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/k-is-for-knot-nancy-drew-investigates.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can eat avocado, but don't understand all the hype. I know they are the "good fat", but they don't really have much of a taste.

      Delete
  3. I tried it once and decided never again. It's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had that much experience with kale, but lately I've been buying prepackaged salads that include kale and I like those. Recently my wife and I were in a restaurant where my wife ordered pulled pork tacos that had kale on them instead of the typical lettuce. She dutifully picked off all of the kale before she ate the tacos. She refuses to even try the kale if she knows it's there, but I haven't told her about the kale in the chopped salad mix. Sometimes I can trick her like that.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have had traces of it somewhere and wouldn't mind if I did. I just don't enjoy encountering the health food crazies. I want to start smacking.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had it, but a friend swears by it. Kale chips, she calls them. Not sure how they are fixed but I'm real picky with veggies. Hubby love beets, and I can't stomach the dirt smell or taste. I would like to try kale just so I know for sure, but this post really leaves me wondering. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of beets. I'll eat radishes and turnips, but beets just don't work for me.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.