Monday, October 11, 2010

A Bit About Me to Get Started

My name is Brett Minor and I welcome you to my blog.  Being my first blog and first time to this site, I haven't really figured it all out yet.  Therefore the formatting and colors and backgrounds will be changing a bit at first until I get it worked out the way I want it and know how it all works.

First off, I want to express my purpose with this blog.  I intend to be genuine and real with my readers (if I ever have any), and want to have fun with this.  My blog will demonstrate my sometimes sick sense of humor, my sarcasm, and various observations and frustrations with life in general.  Knowing that about me, I also want it known that I am a Bible-Believing, Jesus-Following, On-My-Knees-Praying Christian.  I love the Lord Jesus and am not ashamed of it.  However, I ask that my readers be aware of the fact that I am human.  I have more than my share of faults and I am not perfect.  So, please have understanding when you read something that may not sound Christian.  It may be my sense of humor showing through, which as I stated earlier, can be twisted at times.  It may also be my broken human side being genuinely displayed in my writing.  I do have struggles and hardships and would like to be able to openly share them without timidity.  Please do not judge me too harshly and let's have some fun with this.

The Transformed Non-Conformist refers to  Romans 12:2, which reads, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

I do not have a theme in mind for my future postings.  I expect this blog to slowly take shape as I write each time.  I may give my take on a book or movie I just finished.  I may make a statement about politics or even (gasp) religion.  It may just be my rambling for the day.  I may even recall stories from my youth or just yesterday.  I do not intend to preach or evangelize from this blog, although I do intend to speak what is on my mind that day.  That means that some days I will talk about Jesus, or morals, or church, or the stupid thing my neighbor did.  I have no idea where this is going to go.  I do know you will get to know me through this experience.

To help you get to know me, for my first post, I have compiled a list of things about me.

  • I just turned 39 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.
  • My favorite show is still "Boy Meets World."
  • I am an ordained minister, in fact, I have been ordained twice.
  • I despise cold weather.
  • I am a huge fan of Asian horror movies.
  • I consider myself a bit of a photographer and enjoy using Photoshop.
  • Both of my grandfathers died before I was born.
  • I was a school administrator and pastor in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
  • I love eating exotic food and will try anything.  ANYTHING.
  • For the record, I do NOT find Hilary Swank attractive.
  • I have three tattoos.
  • I have flown over the Bermuda Triangle 8 times.  Nothing freaky ever happened.
  • I hate anime.  I have tried several times.  I just can't do it.
  • I have two red-headed ex-wives.
  • I have had my ears gauged up to Double Zero. (3/8 inches).  They are back to normal now.
  • I have wasted hundreds of hours on Facebook.
  • I firmly believe 80% of any person's problems were caused by their own choices.
  • I love to travel and see new places, even if it is a short trip.
  • At one point in my life, I was a church pastor and professional body piercer in a tattoo shop at the same time.
  • I am greatly irritated by mispronounced or misspelled words.  I can't help it.  (If you ever find a misspelled word in my blog, please let me know, so I can fix it.)
  • I have never experimented with illegal drugs.  Not even once.
  • I count my steps when I walk, but I start over at 8.  I don't know why.
  • I used to have TiVo, but I don't anymore.  It is killing me.
  • I have never broken a bone. (None of mine anyway.)
  • I would never shave again if I didn't have to.  I hate shaving.
  • I like to play the stock market, but I never make any money.
  • I have never owned a Nintendo anything, but I worked for them for one weekend.
  • I am a Quentin Tarantino fanatic; except for "Death Proof."  I didn't care for that one.
  • I have a thing for girls wearing hats.
  • I have seen the sun rise and set over the ocean.  I preferred the sunset.
  • I can't wait until I have gray hair.  I think it looks distinguished.
  • I am allergic to artificial scents: perfumes, scented candles, etc.
  • I love studying and going to school.  I would be a professional student if I could make a living at it.
  • I am unusually good at recalling useless trivia.
  • The 1976 song "Afternoon Delight" makes me physically ill.  Always has.
  • I buy a couple of board games every year because they look like fun and then never play them.
  • Jobs I have had: waiter, EPA municipal water tester, emcee for Nintendo, house painter, 911 Dispatcher, veterinarian assistant, owner of tattoo shop, biscuit-maker, door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman, bartender, body piercer, pastor, cell phone technician.
  • It has taken me 14 years to complete my Bachelor's Degree.
I am still learning who I am and look forward to this experience to share it.

11 comments:

  1. I knew a few things about you. I didn't know about the tattoos or piercering. Just a thought, maybe you should of stuck with blondes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot in common. So why do people wash and then cover themselves with toxic fumes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found this post. I appreciate the fact that your blog seems curse-free, and now I understand! I see a lot of similarities, too. Like the useless trivia thing. I can't get it out of my head!...and the no-drug thing, and the board games I never play thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red, thank you. I don't feel the need to curse or be dirty. Things that are funny, don't get funnier just because you throw in the F-word.

    I am happy to know others who think the same way. I just discovered you blog last week and am glad you came over here to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am allergic to faux fragrances and have a truly disturbing affection for Tarantino. But, "Boy Meets World"? Pfft! Please. Nothing could possibly top the epically craptastic "Just the Ten of Us".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, you would be one of the few who understand the allergy. I get sucker punched with unwanted fragrances all the time by people who 'know' but don't understand how sick I get.

      I barely remember that show. I had to Google it to even be reminded what it was. I do understand that 'Boy Meets World' is stupid, but I love it. I am currently watching it on Netflix.

      Delete
    2. Office Skank is a regular offender of the "no fragrances at work" rule. Of course, it takes a copious amount of scent to cover the smell of shame and degradation.

      Delete
    3. She sounds like a character. I have only been reading your blogs for a couple of weeks now. I need to backtrack and find all of your stories about her.

      Delete
  6. My second comment on your blog which, as I already said, I stumbled upon today. I have this weird obsession when I find a blog I like I always search out the very first posting. Yours is very unique! And honest and real - great qualities! But I have to say....earlier today I read about the cyber romance between you and Red. And well, after reading this list, specifically the item about 2 ex-wives I REALLY hope that Red's name does not refer to her hair colour! lol! Then again if she does have red hair maybe it's that "three times lucky" thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I took a while for me to find my voice and my style, but now I am pretty comfortable with how I like to write. As for Red, it does refer to her hair color. I can't help it. Although, I was falling for her before I ever got to see her red hair. We communicated for several weeks before I ever even saw a picture. It was a few more months before we met.

      Delete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.